Sunday, January 11, 2009

Mexico.

At two-thirty in the afternoon we were just waking up. We had spent the previous night trying to talk to God and counting the doors in the hallways of our perceptions. I rolled over, rubbed my temples, and opened the notebook that was laying on the bed. I started reading aloud from it. "Amitryptilline dreams, locked in a chemical embrace, your smile radiates warmth in a higher frequency..."You rolled over, eyes still closed, and a smirk came over your face. We both giggled as I shut the notebook. We had realized a long time ago that the poetry that we wrote under the influence was humourous, only to be taken seriously by open-mic-goers at suburban coffee houses. To them, it was ingenius.I got up and walked to the kitchenette. I was thankful that I had remembered to set the coffeemaker to automatically make a pot of coffee at eleven in the morning. It was cold by then, but it was caffeine, and I drank two cups in rapid succession. We had both taken a few days off work. It was Sunday afternoon, and we had both worked long shifts on Saturday. After work we had come directly home and dropped, wanting to start our mini-vacation off right. I poured a cup of coffee for you and set it on the coffee table. You had pulled a pillow over your face, and I wrestled it out of your hands. "Get up," I said, "even if it's just long enough to have some coffee." You opened your eyes I couldn't help but smile. We both started laughing again.I laid back down and curled myself into a ball at the bottom of the pullout couchbed. My cat sauntered over and laid next to me. I started to sing her a little song as I pet her in long strokes. I could still feel traces of cool electricity in my fingers."We should drive to Mexico," I said, casually. "Where would we get the money to do that?" you asked.I loved the fact that you had actually heard me. I had been waiting my whole life for someone to hear me. I hadn't been serious when I said it; in fact, I was barely cognisant of what I had said. Your response is the only thing that made me give it a second thought."I have money in a jar," I said. You looked at me, deliberately."Enough to get us to Mexico?""Sure," I said."Well, then let's go."
Only half-aware of myself, I collected a few items together and threw them in a backpack. We weren't really going to Mexico, so I packed light. You sat around smoking. When my bag was packed I sat next to you and flipped the notebook open again. "What the hell were we thinking?" Again, we erupted in laughter.When the laughter stopped I looked into your eyes. "What the hell were we thinking?" Your eyes widened. "I don't know. What in the hell WERE we thinking?"

"We were right."

No comments:

Post a Comment